View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 11:21 AM
flip
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by Bluesville View Post
Am I glad I stumbled across this topic.

I too been really thinking about making the switch, from Regional FO to LAPD. I been in doing this thing going on 6 years now and I have nothing to show for it. A 4yr degree, 5,000 Hours... 2-Plus years flying CFi, 2-Plus years doing FreightDawg 135 P.I.C. gigs, and now 3-Plus years doing the regional side with an upgrade coming in about 2yrs and I can't get a call from anywhere (And I applied everywhere and I hate the idea of paying some shumck to look at my resume i.e. Job fairs)! I was trying my hardest to jumpship anywhere that flies something bigger (Allegiant called but its not for me), now that I'm a father I have to be selective on where I go.
For now life is... okay, Im 30 years old, I live in base (LAX), people I work with are great but I don’t have sh*t to show for it. And if I do decide to stay in it, guess where Im going to... an east coast base for one of The Big 3 for a significant amount of time commuting (I’m not relocating east. period).

I always had in interest in law enforcement, I have great people skills, my street IQ is above average, I love watching COPS haha, I want more of thrill instead of landing an Rj in a 20kt Crosswind, Im very thick-skinned and now Im going to do the next step in LAPD application process I been holding off-on partly because I been so busy this past summer.

I welcome your thoughts/opinions guys.
DON'T DO IT!!! Seriously...you have to do what you think is the right call. After you get burned out, which these days I notice the younger guys doing quicker, you'll miss flying so bad you'll want to kick your ass!

You see the worst of the world day in and day out and after a while it wears on you. Nobody ever calls the police and says, "Hey, everything is great...you guys come on over". If that happens its an obvious ambush..lol!

I think the economy is going to start rebounding and things may get a little better for aviation...I hope.

If you need some excitement go jump in a 172 and shoot an ILS to DA in a 20kt xwind...with a hood on. I did at BHM Saturday in 15kt gust and I was excited..lol! Anyway..good luck in your decision but take it from a 20 year LE vet...this job is just another job when the newness wears off.