View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 05:39 PM
daldude
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2008

Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
Hey all,

I am a NH and future USAF Reservist (once off Terminal from AD) and taking care of the open enrollment for benefits. I am contemplating the "optional life insurance" above the normal $676,000 provided. SGLI covers $400,000 at $29 a month. From what I can tell the optional Delta Life Insurance pays out much better. A policy that costs $29/month is upwards of $1M+ in addition to the "free" $676,000 coverage. Overall, the combination of the included free coverage plus the optional life insurance policy seems like a better deal than included life insurance policy plus the $400,000 worth of SGLI for $29/month.

One thing I am unclear on is Delta's policy with Military involvement Lets say something were to happen while on orders, would the Delta insurance pay out regardless? How about if it was an SGLI payout due to an off duty or Delta accident? Would that be a case to keep the SGLI? Any Delta/Mil guys think this through?
Please do not tie all your insurance to your jobs. Because the day you do not have those jobs due to furlough, military cutbacks or some other random event, you will find yourself without insurance. I would seek an outside insurance vendor that has no aviation clause or war clause and purchase from them. That is just me. I'm a little gun shy after the 2001 furlough.