View Single Post
Old 11-26-2014, 06:54 AM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
... teaching the concepts in this thread is much easier said than done....
Disagree in theory at least, which is a good thing, because what starts in the abstract quickly becomes first nature if you use it a lot. To ride a bicycle you might first see somebody ride one then you talk to them about what to do when you get on a bike, take some coaching with training wheels installed for a while, remove the wheels so all the physics are in play and then after a few days of crashing and experimenting you get the hang of it and ride it until the day you get epilepsy. There are so many tasks that private pilots do that can use this approach. A few off the top of my head-

• choosing an approach speed precisely suitable for the type of approach you're doing, whether short field, soft, IFR etc.
• steep turns, tweaking of pitch inputs
• varying Va according to weight
• varying best endurance and best range speeds to actual conditions
• seeing stalls coming before they happen, and insuring adequate recovery
• adjusting speed for icing effects
• choosing correct pitch attitude to ace a long list of commercial and ground reference maneuvers
• choosing best rate of climb and best angle of climb attitudes
• making safe base to final turns in crosswinds
• making safe evasive maneuvers at low altitude
• making smooth landing stalls

The list goes on and on. AoA is essential in flying accurately and safely.

.. The AOA [...instrument cluster ] would help immensely. We could probably get by with far less stuff in the cockpit if the training was adequate.
Exactly my point too, and the value would be felt in just about every aspect of primary training up to CFI levels and might even be useful in airline flying. I think you could possibly dispose of many v-speeds and substitute AoA targets instead which would be far better than the former, because AoA is what v speeds try and accomplish in most cases.

Last edited by Cubdriver; 11-26-2014 at 07:05 AM.