View Single Post
Old 11-26-2014, 09:07 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Addiction

I believe that flying is more of an addiction then passion.

Passion Definition: (from the Latin verb patere meaning to suffer) A term applied to a very strong feeling about a person or thing. Passion is an intense emotion, compelling enthusiasm or desire for anything.

Addiction Definition: A state defined by compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli, despite adverse consequences.

When one feels uncertain about following a passion that is your instinct of self preservation trying to alert you to what could be a bad situation. Pilots often advance even though they acknowledge to themselves, and others, that it is a difficult and life exploding proposition. That is why I believe a more accurate term is "addiction" in regards to following an aviation impulse.

In any case both terms disregard the application of logic or reason to the decision making process.

Perhaps we should apply the term "passion" to other similar life decisions? Example: "He was passionate about heroin". It seems to make lots of poor decisions seem less self destructive. Perhaps some people could be "passionate about adultery or alcohol"? I don't believe that passion or addiction should be a basis for choosing ones occupation.

"Don't follow your passion. Have your passion follow you." - Mike Rowe

Skyhigh

Last edited by SkyHigh; 11-26-2014 at 09:30 AM.