View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 04:39 PM
GVCPT
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2013
Position: GV, GIV

Originally Posted by Flint Stone View Post
Being a former Chief Pilot/Flight Department Manager I agree with the idea of hiring an individual and not the log book, and that's what I did for our two mid sized jet flight department. But I will disagree with your statement saying the industry doesn't hire type ratings. I closed our operation down in 2009, and could not find a job flying any jet. All the companies that were hiring wanted current in type! Even talked to a scumbag charter Chief Pilot who put the type I flew for the last 11 years in my back yard, but said he would not hire me cause I was not current. Eventually I found a job flying a Boeing 767 internationally, but was still looking to get back to the Corporate world, and again ran into the must be current in type problem.

I called many a Chief Pilot, all over the country, who were operating Hawkers, my 11 year steed, and got the impression they would not hire me because of my former Chief Pilot position. Then I had the Chief Pilot of a Gulfstream operation tell me that I wouldn't be considered since I did not have experience flying large cabin jets, really, at that time I was flying a B767, was typed the 767, 737 and 727. They're pretty big cabins in my opinion.

Amazing, I guess you do have to be born with the G-wiz type to fly one, since Flight Safety must not be able to train you properly in a Gulfstream.
GVCPT, sounds like you have a good gig!
Yes, I have a really good gig. Out of the 10 pilots that have worked for my company 5 had previous Gulfstream types and experience. The other 5 were typed by the company. Sound like to me the Chief Pilots that would not hire you because you were a former chief pilot were insecure about the way they do things. I have no problem hiring someone with more experience than me. As someone once said "surround yourself with people smarter than yourself and your job becomes a lot easier." As for the guy that wouldn't hire you because of your lack of experience in a large cabin airplane, I think he was not looking at the big picture. Even though I may not consider a 767 pilot from a 121 setting a good fit in the corporate world (two totally different animals), he should have taken into account your corporate experience in the HS125 plus the 767 time to ascertain your ability to work for his flight department. It does take a special guy to go from a straight 121 environment to a part 91 overseas operation. There is not a lot of hand holding, one must be able to think for themselves and solve problems as they arise (safely and efficiently) without company guidance every step of the way. We do have one guy that came from a totally 121 environment with no prior 91 experience and he has adapted well, but I think he is the exception and not the rule. He had a very open mind coming in and is willing and able to do things for himself. Sorry for the long, drawn out, rambling post, but it is very early in the morning and I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet.
GVCPT