View Single Post
Old 11-29-2014, 07:53 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Tpinks View Post
I do not think drones will ever fully take over due to the size of some of the camera systems being used and the need for liver operators with the cameras in some systems.

But thankfully, there is no contract of time or money.
This is exactly the type of operation that drones will be employed for first - aerial surveying, pipeline patrol, fire spotting/land management, etc....
We worry about drones eventually in my line of work - though in both I believe that it is far off - so I too wouldn't worry about something as short term as a training contract with this company if there were one.

I think aerial surveying sounds like interesting work. I hear them, and pipeline patrol, often o the freqs and we seem to shared quite a few similarities in the operations and some of the coordination required with ATC.

For a low time pilot is sounds like excellent time/experience building.
Exposure to different places (not getting into the rut of one or two airports and to/from the working areas that often seems to affect CFIs/instructors. ATC coordination - again - not always the same controllers that you work with day in and day out. Challenging and changing wether conditions. Precise flying required, working with a crew (some of the operators have a pilot and a package (camera/sensor) operators right (do you switch positions?)

Matter of fact - it sounds a whole lot like my type of operation which I know is a challenging one. Personally I'd rather do this type of flying than CFI'ing - though I loved instructing AFTER I had what I considered an appropriate experience level (and for those that don't know - I never worked as a CFI, but **props to those that have!**)