Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2014, 12:29 PM
FlyinRabbit88
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2013
Position: A320

Do you actually think things would be "better" with a union? Yes we would have more resources if we were under alpa but most likely if we were, we would prob be dealing with a 3 plus year battle with LXJT over whose PBS was better, SLI complaints and whatever else is upsetting people.
In the big picture we are lucky to have what we have in terms of an airline that is run well and profitable with contracts that keep us profitable. Would you rather be a 6 plus year FO at Eagle or Pinnacoloba? Of course we all wish things could be better here from being treated by CS and our pay/QOL was actually worthy of our effort that gets our leadership the contracts and praise by the industry. Of course. I wish upgrade would come faster, or I get the golden ticket just to get an interview at a major airline. QOL is how you make it. Sit down with your chief and just vent. Surprisingly some Chiefs actually welcome it and are happy to just sit down to talk and hear how you feel without fear of punishment. I have had my chief go to bat for me numbers of times and a few times I have had to get a nice talking to, but has always been nice to answer a text or a call whenever he could.
The regional life can be an emotional drain, especially for those that commute. We all want the respect our job entails and many times from PBS issues month after month, to agreements signed by management and sapa not being honored, reserve abuse by CS every little thing just makes you want to flip out. Honestly what could we do? SAPA is handcuffed, a union vote who knows what that would bring let alone actually get voted in when many of us are bitter from how ALPA rep has gone down at some of our previous airlines. Do I wish we could have the power of a major Union like dalpa of course but that will never happen. When was the last strike, let alone a regional besides Comair in 2001?

It is what it is, change moves slowly if at all here at Skywest. It sad but all we can do is try and take vacations or at worst use a "platinum" day to clear our heads and be with family. It sucks but it is what it is.