Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2014, 07:29 PM
skypilot35
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: It's hot out here.

Originally Posted by BrewCity View Post
Ever heard of leaving a place better than you found it?
Skywest is a good place to work. The wages are competitive. I would not hesitate to recommend working here.

That being said, I understand what you are saying and I agree with you but unions don't guarantee that the company you work for will be a better place nor do they guarantee that they will have a future. IMO I don't believe a union has any sway at the regional level. We (regional pilots) are contractors who work for a contracting agency (regional airlines). The majors doling out the flying are in charge and it makes no difference to them what's in the union contract that your parent company signed. If United, Delta, American or Alaska decide that the contracting company (Envoy, Comair, ExpressJet, Pinnacle, Horizon, Skywest, etc.) is too expensive or difficult, they move the flying. Regional Unions have NO control over that. A union at this level is impotent. A union CAN vote in a ridiculous pay scale to undercut their competitors which seems to be a recurring theme (obviously Envoy broke the mold on that ). The only way this industry gets better is with one seniority list and one collective voice. That will never happen. The regionals will continue to shrink. The majors will milk this system as long as their able. Eventually, there will be 3 regionals remaining. 5-10 years tops. Figure out how to make one seniority list which transfers between regionals. I'll sign on to that.