Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2014, 10:14 PM
BeechLuxuryLnr
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Position: CRJ

I'm not trying to imply skywest is the best job in the industry. Just saying it is helpful to keep everything in perspective. There are many of us that forget this is a good job and skywest is a good company to work for. I enjoy my job, and I like working here - that's it.

I interviewed at Frontier last year and did poorly. I think part of it was a lack of preparation, part apprehension about leaving skywest. I was worried about possibly commuting to ORD (worst commute from DEN I have ever had the pleasure of), and that I would be back on reserve and making less money (I'm a 3rd year FO). I could interview there again, but I'm not convinced that my life would be better if I was hired. I also had the opportunity to interview at airways two years ago and turned it down. I had no interest in their bases and I did not have the time to prepare for an interview then. I regret that decision now. But I'm reasonably sure that I'm much happier today working at skywest than I would have been commuting to PHL for airways. But yeah, I might have passed up great career opportunities. So be it.

So that's my point. Not that skywest is the be-all and end-all airline. I just prefer to drive to work, for a company that I like, and be happy today. And call it kool aid drinking, or what you will, but it tastes better than the grass on the other side of the fence. I really enjoy my time at home more than anything. Even with the long call rules at the legacies, it would still be a PIA to commute. I would rather just move to the base. And I love where I live - I grew up here and never intend to leave. But we all have to figure out what is important.

I voted against the pay package and I always will. The company will always offer something better if we vote it down. Which is the second point - why this company doesn't need a union. The management has shown far more interest in negotiating than most. We just need to ask for more. And yes, ready RSV and TDY is miserable. But when over 80% of the pilot group holds a line, it creates a bit of a disconnect. Not sure how to fix that.... other than vote down the next pay package with that being a concession. But the majority of folks here that want a union have never dealt with a union at a regional. When necessary, it serves it's purpose, but it doesn't make sense at skywest today. It would be a waste of our money.

I feel like the point of the thread is to honestly discuss skywest. So I'm trying to be honest. It's a good discussion. Most of us will leave this company in the next decade, but for now, I feel like it's a good place to be.

Last edited by BeechLuxuryLnr; 11-30-2014 at 10:28 PM.