Thread: UPS scabs
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2014, 01:12 AM
Section Eight
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: SDF’s finest dive - Toasting Jungle

Originally Posted by acebaxter View Post
It wasn't an offer as I do not work for UPS. I see this position posted quite frequently and I am just trying to understand the reason they can't fill it internally. Depending on the terms and conditions it could be a great improvement in quality of life from where I currently sit. Just trying to get all the facts without the emotions tossed in.

Jim
Jim,

You can find this discussion on other threads, but in a nutshell an IPA member that goes to management is not looked upon highly (to say the least) by the rank in file. When you leave the IPA to go to mgmt you lose your seniority number, your contract, and your tight to say "no".

They say jump, you say how high, no questions, period. No scheduling rules to follow in a CBA, and a loose interpretation of the FARs at best. Try working all day in the sim "checking" to be told to DH 6 hours after you finish for an 8 hour flight only to operate a 10 hour flight once you land. Obviously you would get some rest in a hotel somewhere in there right? Wrong. Sleep on the plane.

No more A fund, B fund, etc. (our mgmt has varying degrees of retirement, based on when you were hired). Hired as a manager in 88? Good deal (maybe), hired as a manager in '14??? Not so much.

The real rub is that these guys fly during furloughs, fly far limits, act like they know it all, and some have little or No experience, yet the are ALL check airmen. Case in point, our newest soon to be master check airmen on the 744. No intl experience, no 744 time (none) but did time at a legacy and was a ground instructor for us, so that makes it all ok, even by our bought and paid for govt agency.

Hopefully you get my point. As to the scab moniker? Some were, ALL would be if we ever went down that road again (97), or they get terminated, that simple. Want the job? Not me.

Most people have done enough research to know not to take that job, yet they fill it, either with IPA pilots (all FO's, to my knowledge not one IPA CPT has left the union to mgmt) looking to cash in, or people you really don't want to go straight to the left seat of anything, unless it's a British auto, yet we let it go on and on.......,,

It's a cancer, and it needs chemo.

Carry on........