View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Deez340
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: 757/767

Originally Posted by Bucking Bar View Post
I'm still a Regional Captain, but will have over a million in cash and liquid investments before age 47 despite the lousy regional pay and every dollar put in the bank has been earned one hour at a time. I think CNN's commentary is the direct result of inflation and our government's profligate spending. A million dollars is not what it used to be. Also, my wife and I contribute at least 10% and sometimes more to charitable projects both in the US and in the southern pacific islands. It is all about what you enjoy and the food, scuba diving, music and people on some of the remote islands we have gone to can't be beat (and it is "twenty five cent beer" sort of cheap in that part of the World)

There is an old book called the "Millionaire Next Door" that I suggest you pick up, if interested. The millionaires in our society are usually NOT the guys int eh $500,000+ homes driving $60,000 SUV's. The most popular vehicle amongst persons with over a million in net worth is a well used Ford F150 pickup truck. The secret to becoming a millionaire is to avoid debt and stick to a savings program. It is not rediculously hard to do.

Major airline pay is sure not what it used to be. Corrected for today's inflation airline Captains at major carriers like Pan Am were making as much as a half million, sometime much more, a year. My Father's Flight Engineer pay was almost $200,000 a year in today's money. Fed Ex's profession leading pay has actually not kept pace with inflation from where Flying Tigers was in their day.

At a major it will take me four to five years to break even and a Captain upgrade will be required to really go off to the races financially.
100% correct! also try Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. if you pile away money (not debt) early in life by your mid to late forties your money can be making much more money than you do. although it would be a lot easier to do at half a mil a year.