View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 10:08 AM
shoelu
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: CA

Originally Posted by Dukeuno View Post
I am like you looking in and wondering what would help to get an interview. I can say I had 5 buddies get hired last year, and 3 were Check Airman ( also two did not have a 4 year degree). I do think it would be good to get your bachelors, but also if you have an opportunity to become a Check Airman that would help.
Also I was told to update my app on a regular basis, they can track this. I actually do it once a week now.
Originally Posted by Burton78 View Post
You're definitely on the right track. In my class (approx. 65/35 - Mil/Civ) most Civ guys hired were Check Airmen. And yes I'd say updating your app regularly helps dramatically as its just another indicator that this is where you really want to hang your hat.
I agree with the posts quoted. Most definitely check airman and frequent updates will increase your odds at an interview.

Remember, this whole process is simply a computer program pulling out applications for an interview from those on file. The parameters are most definitely set and tweaked by the people department.

Consider this scenario: It is decided that they would like to interview 500 applicants for 200 positions. The parameters may be set to pull applications with these qualifications-1) 737 type rating. 2) 4 year degree. 3) Check airman or instructor pilot. 4) Updated application within the preceding 90 days. I am of course only speculating on the actual parameters set.

The cheapest option for making sure you may be one of the applicants called for an interview is to update frequently. I have been told by those that do the hiring that this shows your continued interest in the job. Of course checking more boxes such as check airman and college degree will always improve your chances.

Statistically over the last decade I believe the hiring has been fairly even between civilian and military. When I was hired my class was evenly split, as were all the classes hired that year. That being said, there was a time when many more military pilots were hired than civilians. If you look at current captains at the airline you will most likely see more military pilots than civilians however I would guess the F.O.'s to be much more evenly split.

Last edited by shoelu; 12-08-2014 at 10:26 AM.