View Single Post
Old 12-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Firsttimeflyer
Stuck Mic

Joined APC: Dec 2013

Originally Posted by whalesurfer View Post
I have been asking. My friends at Delta, United and SWA are either positive or neutral, in other words, changes are so small they're barely noticeable.

A pilot's quality of life is directly proportional to the number of pilots behind him/her on the seniority list. Part 117 has forced airlines to hire in record numbers. At one of the WAI job seminars a United recruiter said at least 10% of hiring is due to the new rest rules. Those rules are much more restrictive for night flying. If United, an airline which flies primarily during the day (starting trips, domicile time) imagine how many pilots fedex and ups would have to hire.

Common Sense 101 - if fedex and ups management spends millions and millions of dollars fighting a new regulation you know that regulation must be beneficial to pilots.
Which kind of proves my point. 10% more pilots to cover the same amount of flying. If you aren't legal to do the same flying pre-117, you are either working more days or getting paid less...unless you are on reserve getting guarantee and min days off. Seniority definitely plays a role, as does pairing generation software and the parameters placed upon it.

Night flying is definitely more restrictive which I think it's extremely important due to the effects on circadian rhythms and internal clocks and the like. I really don't like red eyes at all!

And I truly appreciate the rides you guys have given me while commuting and I certainly don't envy the night schedules.

Again, I don't agree with the FAAs decision and I think 117 should be applied to all operators. And it definitely makes sense to me why management would spend the money, saves them a ton of money over the long run. Hopefully it can be applied to you cargo guys soon. Not sure what the best way to go about it is, other than to continue to lobby elected officials, and emphasize physiological factors in any ASAP reports.