View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 02:26 AM
ZapBrannigan
Furloughed Again?!

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Boeing 737
Default Corporate Regrets?

Here is another difference. If you are furloughed from an airline and for ten years you can't find another flying job - you're slinging French fries at McDonalds - when you are finally recalled its up to the airline to requalify you.

If you are laid off from a corporate department and for a decade don't touch another airplane, you're probably done flying. For most corporate gigs there is no recall.

We are generally 90 days away from being unemployable at any given time due to lost currency. Like bananas that will spoil if not sold immediately. ;-)

Further, when my department laid off (fired) it was done out of seniority order and based on who management liked/ didn't like. (We assumed, they never explained their methodology) One guy had been there 30+ years. I had to wonder, what if that happens to me when I'm 50,55,60? How will I compete with young guys for a job?

I suddenly realized the value of a seniority number. It's not personal, it's just business and you always know the rules to the game.