View Single Post
Old 12-14-2014, 03:17 PM
Windsor
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Zee Airboos

I did 5 years at a regional. Another few years slinging freight and air ambo 135. I am on my first corporate gig as a chief for a company in my hometown. My QOL as far as flying schedule is through the roof! I only overnight one or 2 nights a month, Fly about 30 hours a month and drive 20 minutes to the hangar. Since I'm the Capt, I get to fly with my favorite pilot every trip. I contract out the right seat, so I get to choose who I want to fly with. Some guys are great, others suck and I never have to call them again. I make 6 figures to sleep in my own bed, get quarterly bonuses, turkeys for thanksgiving, hams for Xmas, fantastic company Xmas party at a swank restaurant in the area, all I can eat, no questions asked, put it all on my company card food, hotel, rental car, entertainment (golfing movies). I collected more Atlantic points than I care to pay taxes on and I fly a little rocket for an airplane.

But there are some downsides.....I am the boss. I run the whole show. I am in charge of everything from the septic tank in the hangar to the toilet in the plane (which I gladly tip line guys $50 to change out for me) I had to learn how to manage the plane, maintenance, the Feds, loa's, a boss who can be a tough read at times, flight planning, FBO planning, fuel planning, arraigning rental cars, hotels, catering. I do have to clean the plane every leg, check the stock, empty the garbage, get fresh coffee, ask the pax if they want anything every leg and when we get home, I clean the outside of the plane as well. It is a ton more work than 121. But for now, I wouldn't leave unless a major called and it looked like I could get hired into their base next to my house. I will never go back to commuting. The way I see it, I'm getting paid good money to stay at home, sleep in my own bed, see my kids and learn a ton about the other side of the industry.