View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 12:20 PM
atr42flyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: A300, FO

Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
So, I have a bit of a dilemma.

I'm prior 121 current working in a federal agency. I'm a GS-13 ($90k/year) and my pay will top out at the top of GS-14 ($135k/year) in today's dollars without any additional promotions. Good salary, very stable, retirement plus 401k.

I have time as an FO and CA in the 121 world, currently have about 2500 hours with 1900 being 121 and have been out of work (CFI only) since 2009. There are some opportunities to go back into 121 flying, but I also have the option to be a 1/4 in a Skyhawk. Prices are fairly affordable, and operating costs would be about $60/hour.

If in the same boat (family, mortgage, bills, 529 plan for the kids, good insurance, etc) which would you choose? We have enough savings to last a while if I went back 121, could likely upgrade before the end of year if not sooner...but I worry about the stress on the family. Same time, I don't know if flying on weekends in a small plane would bring me a whole lot of aviation satisfaction. Is there anyone on here who's been in this situation?

where can you upgrade by the end of the year?