View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 07:46 AM
F15Cricket
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Right Seat 737, Front seat T-6

Originally Posted by BDGERJMN View Post
A bit of devil's advocate here but game changing in what sense? Are we saying that China/Russia wouldn't be developing 5th and 6th Gen FTRs if we had bought and built F-22/F-35 sooner? Or game changing in the sense of how we plan to fight? Either way the plans are a function to some extent of the forces available to achieve the objectives of the plan...perhaps we could have planned a bit earlier/often but the end result is the same absent one or a few of those plans going into action. My point is the 10 yr or so delay in buying F-35 really matters not, long term other than the cost associated with it. The gaps created by the delay, specifically the Strike/Fighter shortfall within the USN/USMC and I'm sure the USAF as well, are really a function of increased(unplanned) usage over the past 13 yrs. Sure we were going to be short aircraft here and there, but not in the same numbers we're seeing now. Couple that with the budget arguments above and well, there you have it. I'm just not sold that buying it earlier and often would have done much to change the game...though it would have given us a lot of shiny pennies on the flight line.
Basically, I meant we would have had operational 5th gen fighters a decade+ before Russia or China. That would have been game changing. Instead, China and Russia both announce / reveal their 5th gen fighters within a week or so of the SecDef announcing the F-22's cancellation ... Their reason for the cancellation? "no peer competitors", yet China is now mass producing their TWO 5th Gen fighters, I believe.