View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Sunvox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2010
Position: EWR 777 Captain
Default Help stamp out Scope Relief Rumors.

So for those of you that do not have access to or prefer not to go either of the UAL forums I thought I would start a thread here to spread a rumor being discussed over there. What you do with that rumor is up to you. I decided to email my LEC, the MEC, and the big guy himself, Heppner.

Anyways, the long and the short of it is that a rumor came out saying the company had approached Heppner asking for Scope Relief. The guesses were many, but the one that sounded most plausible to me was the company asking for more 76 seaters in return for 737s or A319s instead of the SNB which is in the contract.

Now I don't know how y'all feel, but if there is any truth to this rumor then my answer is "Aww hell no!!!!!"

We buy 'em and we fly 'em! Otherwise forget it.

So, I emailed several folks and got silence or answers like yeah we had a briefing from the Scope Committee, but that doesn't mean anything. Many other folks on the other forums got similar responses to MEC members they confronted. The consensus amongst people posting on the thread was: Where there's smoke there's probably fire.

Conclusion: There is a chance that El Heffe is talking to the company about Scope Relief. If you think we need to hold the line and shout "NO!" then I would urge my fellow forumites to email Messr Heppner directly. That would be Jay dot Heppner at ALPA dot org

Like I said, it's all a rumor at this point, but I remember all too well how back in 2003 we woke up one day to find the a now infamous Master Chairman and gone and signed a letter giving away 70s without a word to the troops about what was coming or having asked anybody what they thought. Rather than take that chance again, I say let your reps know how you feel about Scope. Today. It might not make a lick of difference, but then again it can't hurt.