View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 09:51 AM
MikeF16
Otto

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Turkish Pile Driver

Originally Posted by gloopy View Post
It also says:

"New...category means, for the purposes of Section 22, a category that has not been in existence for 60 days since the date of the first opportunity for the first conversion"

So you might get another bite at the apple if there is another immediate AE the following month. I'm not sure though. New categories coupled with almost constant mothly AE's is somewhat uncharted territory so I hesitate to say for sure. Normally in most cases you only got 1 chance to bid it but in this case you may get 2 depending on the frequency of the AE's in conjunction with the new category.

That said, it really doesn't matter because you're either going to get it or you're not if you have a bid in for it, and you should NEVER have an AE/VD bid in for something you don't want or even want less than what you currently have. In your case that also means don't have a bid in unless you're willing to be the plug…possibly for a while. If that bothers you, throw in a percentage qualifier. However if you do that, you need to be OK with not getting it when you could have been the plug.

Just to muddy the mud even more, the flying in new categories tends to suck for a while. However the first attempt might be your only way in for a long time, precicely because more senior pilots who want it, and intend to bid it in the future, may bypass on the first attempt. That could get you a plug position, but then on future AE's here come the senior bidders "pushing you down" and keeping you the plug, possibly for years.

Do not bid it unless you want it. If you want it, don't forget to bid it.
Thanks for the opinion. My take is that as long as I wouldn't be involuntarily displaced, I don't think it would be horrible to be the plug as long as I lived in domicile. While I like money as much as the next guy, I could be happy just pulling in reserve guarantee for a couple years if it meant I'd have lots of free time to enjoy my family and the outdoors. As a new guy who really doesn't have any concept of life as the plug, would that be a fairly accurate assessment?

My wife followed me for 16 years in the AF so I promised her she could pick any domicile where I could hold an airframe. She has given me the options of Seattle and Atlanta. I currently live in San Antonio and hate how I'm basically a prisoner in my own home for 5-6 months of the year due to the heat/humidity and I don't see that being any different in Atlanta. Due to kids in school we need to move this summer or not at all, and even on positive space I don't like commuting which means we are definitely moving this summer. If I can't get SEA on the January AE then it is unlikely I'd be able to get there any time soon anyway so I feel like this is my one shot to break free of the south .

As for the new category, tell me about it . I'm ecstatic to have been hired by DAL, but my 717 NYC reserve schedule in January will not be one of my selling points to the bros who are asking about staying in/getting out. I think it would sting a lot less if my goofy reserve schedule was spent sitting at home with the family rather than commuting back and forth to the crash pad.