View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 11:01 AM
LeineLodge
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: DAL FO

Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post
Got this email today from the DPA. It looks like the MEC administration is up to its old tricks of "receiving" resolutions:

First, I really applaud the ATL based line pilots for pushing this resolution. Second, didn't the administration promise to stop "receiving" resolutions from the members? I thought they were going to simply vote on them and stop the editing process as well.

For those of us not in ATL, I'd really like any info you could give me on this movement for transparency. This is going to get visibility because of all folks here who've consistently claimed we can change DALPA from within. I guess we'll see.

Carl
I was at the meeting where this was discussed. It was a good idea, but not sure I'd describe it as a "movement." One pilot brought it in as a resolution and the group agreed with the idea.

Apparently it is illegal per federal law to provide any sort of vote tabulation for elections (supposedly for intimidation protection??), but not so for contracts, LOAs, etc. This resolution was to explore ways to allow pilots to verify after the fact that their vote was properly recorded against a master list.

The idea floated was to assign each pilot a random tracking ID that would be attached to his vote. After the votes are tallied, a spreadsheet could be published with 2 columns - one with the tracking IDs and the other with the vote. That way a pilot could go look at the sheet, find his # and verify it was recorded properly.

I'm fine with the idea, but there were a few cons presented. Among those:

- the potential for a pilot to intimidate/threaten another based on his vote. ie "Tell me your ID # so I can verify you're not a surrender monkey..."
- We don't want the body that oversees the voting (NMB? can't remember) to interpret this move as our lack of confidence in the electronic voting system that we currently have. The concern stated was that we could be forced back into a snail mail voting system, which would decrease pilot participation, etc...
- A few more that I can't remember

Mostly though, I don't see the harm and if it makes a guy feel warm and fuzzy about the process then why not? Just my opinion.