Thread: retirement ?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 06:53 AM
hindsight2020
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Center seat, doing loops to music

Originally Posted by papyco View Post
I thought your reserve retirement pay was computed using your "high 3". Are you assuming that as an O-4, his pay is maxed out at 20 years?

What If the OP had retired one year after making O-5?
I don't know the guy, of course I'm assuming. He doesn't know either his high-3 pay nor the exact number of retirement points when he asked; I think we can wag it a little, eh? He did ask the internetz to do his retirement homework after all . If a 150 dollar rounding error on a measly 27% secondary pension is gonna make it or break it for the OP I think he's got bigger problems in retirement I'm afraid.

The number I threw is probably close to what the OP will draw and it only took me 6.9 seconds to calculate. Bottom line, it ain't much, but it's certainly an incentive to stick it out in the Reserves until that good year letter while attempting to pursue the fickle flake that is airline employment. To me the best thing about the Reserves is not the retirement, it's the ability to mil drop the hell outta the airline job and have turbine recency insured during the decade long furloughs and displacements. To each their own of course.

Happy Holidays!