View Single Post
Old 02-17-2006, 11:08 AM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

Originally Posted by TonyC
"Free" is all relative. If you're already standing in the FSDO talking to the guy that can do it, then the price will be just the time that it takes. If you have no other purpose to visit the FSDO, then the price begins to go up. If the FSDO is in town, then you've got a minor expenditure for gas. If it's 200 miles away, the price climbs considerably. Since having the type rating is of so little value, it will be up to the individual to determine if the cost and hassle is worth it.
I'll grant you "free is relative". However since a type rating costs upwards of $7K (and as high as $35K), it's probably worth the travel expenses. Most military crewmembers will need to make the trip to a FSDO anyway to convert military competancy to FAA certificates. Why not knock out two birds with one stone?

Reputable means "enjoying good repute" or "held in esteem." The prefix "ir-" is used to indicate the opposite of the root word, suggesting, in this case, that the thing is NOT "enjoying good repute" or NOT "held in esteem." Personally, I'd pass on anything on my resume that would fit that description. Lucky for you, the word irreputable is not actually a word, so we must assume a misspelling of a proper word. Perhaps you meant "irrefutable," meaning "impossible to refute" or "incontrovertible" as in "incontrovertible proof."
You caught me there. I meant to say "irrefutable"... guess my vocabulary isn't as great as yours (Particularly at midnight).

Can you share a reference for that? I had a Type rating in a 707 and 720 (neither of which I have actually touched) that provided no such benefit. Having 300 hours as PIC in turbine aircraft DID provide a benefit when it came to High Minimums as a newly-minted Part 121 Captain, but the type ratings (those and the MD-11 type I had also acquired by then) did nothing to abbreviate the training.
FARs 61.63 (for commercial pilots) and 61.157(g) (for ATPs) covers the particular requirements that dictate whether or not a 15% ride in an actual aircraft is required. Level C and D simulators require 15% rides if certain experience requirments haven't been met. (There is a long list of requirements that can be met in both the regs)

I relooked over the reg, and since presumably Herc130AV8R, has a military designation to act as pilot in command any future type rides are probably exempt.

As for you, you were probably exempt due to flight time experience or some other reason.

----------------------------------------------

As a side note, it is probably worth getting the type rating if it's not a big trouble or hassle simply because if Herc130AV8R can't get a job flying for an airline right away, there are numerous overseas contract jobs flying or instructing in the C130 that are available to former servicemembers. (These are often flying/instructing for foreign allied nations that have purchased equipment from the US). Many of these contracts are quite lucrative financially, and often require type ratings and US certificates (as well as often requiring current qualifications).

~J