View Single Post
Old 02-17-2006, 11:51 AM
koz2000
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: Airbus F/O

I did some work in Sierra Leone, and there's no economy there. The are cannibals there but I don't think anyone wants to overnight a cannibal except to their in-laws . Wars between landowners, gov't, and squatters are pretty serious. Coup d'etats are a normal. I think the only real commerce would come out of South Africa.

Also for the guy who said we'd be out of business soon due to low cost start-ups and scanned documents. People can now send low cost packages, it's called the post office. I would rather pay a little more, make sure that the package gets there in one piece. Fortunately for us, we now also carry the postal priority and express letters, which is big business. Dangerous Goods are another big money maker that you can't cut corners. When you look at the planes being loaded you'll see a lot of big containers, none envelopes but packages. It's hard to scan/fax/e-mail that item you bought on e-bay. As more documents are being sent electronically, there are also more and more online purchases everyday. (Notice UPS got the e-bay Canada.) Look at the FedEx (and I assume UPS) hub during the sort. There's a lot more packages than letters. Yeah things can always go south for any company, (that's why I have a backup plan/degree) but I think we do have some good leadership that will keep on top of the changing market.

Last edited by koz2000; 02-17-2006 at 12:24 PM.