View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 05:41 PM
HSLD
APC co-founder

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: B777

Originally Posted by FlyerJosh View Post
Dog (and HSLD),

I understand that we don't want spam advertisements and website promotions. However I do think that established members that have proven their worth might benefit from having a "yard sale" or craigslist type area to trade goods and other aviation related gear/services.

Perhaps a new forum call "services and goods" could be created? I know that vbulletin allows for such a forum to be blocked off from certain users (say those that haven't yet "established" themselves. As such you wouldn't get spammed, but could still offer a service to the members. It one thing for commercial businesses and services to be advertising... but another when general members/individuals have a single item that others might be interested in.

Just my thoughts.
Our focus with the forums has been on building an online community of pilots and I guess you can't have that for too long before someone wants to sell something

We turn away considerable opportunity to make money on this forum from potential advertisers because we don't view the users as a revenue source. It would be disingenuous for us to offer a community resource AND try to make money from the community members at the same time.

I am warm to the idea of "pilots helping pilots" - that's our goal after all. I also want to be receptive to the will of the community. Users like you have invested considerable time here and we want to provide the resource that this community wants/needs.

Let me discuss this with FD, and lets see if we can find a solution that meets the needs of the community while maintaining the ethical direction of our no-advertising policy.