View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 02:21 PM
mattag08
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2014

I don't think you can go wrong by citing everything in both logbooks exactly as the FARs and AC 61-65 are written, but I personally consider that extremely tedious and unnecessary.

I think you are ultimately at the mercy of the inspector looking at your logbooks. I've had extremely OCD ASIs who want a clear paper trail for their own CYA and I've had much more lax, "spirit of the rules" ASIs who are fine with whatever as long as they can understand how what you wrote corresponds to the appropriate regulations. The same is true for DPEs that I've worked with.

No where in the regulations, ACs, or other guidance has the FAA ever restricted what is considered a "record." It can be toilet paper rolls as long as you write down the appropriate information. 61.51 simply says "Each person must document and record the following time in a manner acceptable to the Administrator [...]" It does not say how many copies must be made, who must hold these copies, or for how long. There are practical or tort-related reasons why you might consider these questions, but they are not explicitly stated by the FAA.

On top of that 61.189 says:

§ 61.189 Flight instructor records.
(a) A flight instructor must sign the logbook of each person to whom that instructor has given flight training or ground training.
(b) A flight instructor must maintain a record in a logbook or a separate document that contains the following:
(1) The name of each person whose logbook or student pilot certificate that instructor has endorsed for solo flight privileges, and the date of the endorsement; and
(2) The name of each person that instructor has endorsed for a knowledge test or practical test, and the record shall also indicate the kind of test, the date, and the results.
(c) Each flight instructor must retain the records required by this section for at least 3 years.
It clearly indicates what records a flight instructor MUST maintain. The language is all-encompassing.

So I would say you do not have to keep records of specific actions performed during any given training flight. Depending on how you feel about lawyers, the courts, and any FAA inspectors that would testify against you or violate you, you may believe it is a good or bad thing to keep those records. The records you keep could incriminate you in the same way they could absolve you of wrong doing. What if you made a mistake or omission in your own records? Now those records become evidence to be used against you. You can claim that you made a mistake, but those records will now have more weight than your own testimony. If the only record of what you did burns up in a crash, you are the sole surviving evidence of what instruction took place. You are not suddenly legally responsible just because the training records were onboard the aircraft.

Of course, much of the risk of what we are talking about can be mitigated by simply instructing your students well and not endorsing them for things that you don't have confidence in them performing without incident.