View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 06:19 AM
BillyBaroo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: A320 F.O.

Originally Posted by DeadStick View Post
A brief treatise on PBS:

Fundamentally, it's about efficiency, right? We, as pilots, are largely against PBS because it will make us more productive. The company won't have to so often pay us to not work. "Work rules" largely means "ways we can trick/loophole the company out of wages." It's not efficient, and often favors those pilots in better position to take advantage of "the system." Because our per hour wages are so abysmally subpar, most of the pilot group relies on "work rules" to feed their family.

PBS takes advantage of modern scheduling technology and is fundamentally a more "healthy" way of operating an airline. Yes, it reduces staffing requirements.

The company is probably never going to be willing to accept the necessary compromise in wage increases to make PBS implementation palatable enough for the pilots to accept. However I, for one, would gladly accept PBS on condition of Alaska/Southwest hourly rates, and absolutely nothing less. At the end of the day I'd like my employer to be efficient and effectual, and I don't want my livelihood artificially propped up on my perpetual "working the system."
Put in ACA where PBS is and it sounds like a pitch for Obamacare