Thread: ATP practical
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 01:14 PM
rbigred300
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2015
Default ATP course selection help

Looking for some help...I am trying to decide which ATP practical program is right for me and I have read through the entire thread here and on baseops and talked to several of the companies as well.

It seems that the amount of money and flying training you get varies widely between these companies. Also, this is obviously a check the box type of activity, so I really want the cheapest and fastest way to get it done without failing my checkride (which I imagine is exactly what most people want). I am not planning on using the GI Bill because I want to save it and it doesn't seem like a good use of my months of benefits.

These are the companies I have compared which would be close for someone living in the northeast:

All ATPs (nearest location for me is Trenton, NJ) - they do roughly 10 hours of flight training and it costs about $5000.

Higher Power Aviation (HPA) Training - Dallas - get a 737 type rating (personally I am not interested in a type and don't want to spend that much money)

Accessible Aviation - Columbus AFB - not interested in dealing with "crazy carl" judging from feedback on this forum.

Sanders Aviation - Alabama - approximately $3500. Good reviews but far from where I live and about the same amount of money as places in the northeast.

Downtown Aviation - Memphis - quoted 1600-1800 and you get it done in two flights and two days. Seems like the best deal for time and money.

Hortman Aviation - Philadelphia - Typically 6-12 hours of flying - they said to expect $3500ish.

Middle River Aviation - Baltimore - I am told they are about $3500 as well, and I have heard of a lot of guys going there recently.

Boston guy - the mythical guy that no one can get in touch with? Seems to be a good deal. I don't have his price or contact information though. Please PM me if you do!!

So my question to you all is this: Why would anyone spend $3500 and more time to do any of these programs other than one like Downtown Aviation? For those of you who have done Downtown or any other really abbreviated course, should I be concerned about failing my checkride due to lack of preparation? The courses that cost $3500 provide hours more in flight instruction...is this recommended? Bottom line...I want an ATP and don't want to fail my first attempt. If that costs $3500 than so be it, but I don't want to waste my time or money. Thanks for the help!