View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 06:54 PM
Triumph
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: .

Originally Posted by Voski View Post
It sounds like the CBP air component is having a tough time justifying their existence in the big picture. I've heard DHS employees having fairly low morale, and I guess CBP Air & Marine division is no exception. That's disappointing to hear.

When people say "the job isn't what it used to be," what was better about it before it became what it is today? It sounds like CBP never did any of those things ("don't make arrests, they don't serve warrants, and they don't do investigations"), what did they do before that made the job better? Does a lot of the dissatisfaction have to do with management / administrative side of the house?
Before CBP, we were US Customs, and worked under the dept of treasury. They did things that actual federal agents do, and flew airplanes. Then we became "incorporated" which is code for becoming part of CBP under DHS. CBP has basically been infiltrated by the border patrol from the inside out. I guess a good analogy would be the Army coming in and suddenly telling the Air Force how they are going to manage and employ their assets.

To answer your second question, management is a big part of what CBP has become unfortunately.