View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 03:33 AM
The Dominican
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: 747 captain

Anytime any 'evaluation' is done subjectively, a 'Dumb Penguin' will decided it for you regardless of your ability and performance! A while ago, I had a captain who couldn't even turn on his speaker and mike on with the mask on when the instructor simulated rapid decompression. He had no clue how to turn the O2 to 100% either. Of course he didn't know how to get rid of (simulated) smoke from his mask. He was briefed later that if his partner didn't know how to work his mask/O2 today, in real life, everyone would've died. Well, the captain of course passed the PC!
We always want to think that we have the exclusivity in fairness and correctness..., the conversation about training abroad is always based on biased against people from certain parts of the world or something personal..!

But the stories are no different than the ones I had to deal with here during reviews formulating a defense.

You hear things like "I rested my hand on the thrust lever and he failed me for that" when in reality it is just the tip of the iceberg and what's underneath it's not discussed by the trainee, the people who fail check rides always find a way to blame the system and the ones who are biased always present themselves as fair..!

People are people and it always comes down to attitude and interpersonal relationships anywhere in the world you might find yourself.