Old 01-20-2015, 03:49 PM
bedrock
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: ERJ, CA

10 years ago Barry Schiff said he would not recommend his children or grandchildren to become airline pilots. 5 years ago, Sully said the same thing. Surprise! Now things look better than they have in 20 yrs or more for young people getting into aviation. But the point is, you really need to have a passion for this career in order to tolerate it. Now contrary, to many, I think those who did not have a passion and are really, really pizzed off are good for the industry too, because they give counter-weight to the "living the dream" mindset. If you are flexible and even willing to leave the US to fly, I am confident you will make a career of this. Don't be misled, however, this occupation can and will exact a heavy price in terms of finances, stability, relationships, career progression and even sanity at times. People have even committed suicide over career calamities in this field. It is also an absoulte MUST to have a back-up skill to ride out furloughs and scare tactics which are employed ruthlessly by these airlines.
The US airlines have become like the US auto makers of the 80's, they made poor products and arrogantly assumed there was no competition. I personally, think things are so badly run at the legacies nowadays, that some relaxation of cabotage is inevitable. However, the Asian mkts will undoubtedly need more and more trained pilots too.