Old 01-20-2015, 05:30 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by bedrock View Post
The Norwegian Air issue shows they are trying to break down the system the way the shipping industry is run. If you get a situation where a few big holding companies employ the airlines, AND a furthering of Open Skies, I could see US airlines not being against reciprocal agreement where a foreign airline could be allowed to pick up and drop off passengers as they fly from say, Europe to NY, to LA, for example. There is a lot of outrage against the lack of customer service in the US airlines, I would not discount that.
The ships come to the US, not into the US. So different security issues. Also they save money with lower safety standards, which would not really work in aviation (both ICAO and public perception).

Also ships have more than two crew members...the CA and top mates are probably paid well regardless, but the rank-and-file crew can be had much cheaper overseas. That's not the case with airlines, although they might save a few bucks on flight attendants I doubt it would be much (ours are pretty cheap).

But still doesn't answer the big question...foreign pilots would probably have to be paid more than US pilots, on average. Otherwise they can stay home, get paid more, and see their family more. I do see a possible opportunity for foreigners getting paid rates equivalent to US domestic rates taking over international flying from highly-paid US widebody pilots...that's where the real opportunity for wealth re-assignment exists. But that's not a cabotage issue...that's just code-share/alliance stuff, so it would really come down to scope.