Old 01-20-2015, 10:30 PM
FaceBiten
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Make a lot of money and buy your own plane. Flying isn't nearly as cool when it's a job. I've flown some cool acft for the govt in cool places doing cool things, currently fly at a regionalairline, and flown my own plane. The first two have been awesome at times, but there is more not fun time than awesome time. Also, finding a partner who can deal with the airline lifestyle is tough. Finding kids who like you being gone half the month is impossible. I've flown with one captain at my airline who has been happily married to one person and raised kids with no divorce. One. Out of quite a few. The rest are divorced or on second or third marriages...or cheat, etc.

If you could own your own business, or work for one that in some way covered some costs to fly your own plane, or at least write it off, that would be ideal. That said, I have a bs in mech e from a good school, have ample connections and could go back to a 6 figure job, but I'm making poverty wages in the regionals and have a few kids I am feeding, bc, as of now, I'm still chasing my dream (nightmare?). If I wanted to be a wife/mom, no way would I do this. Maybe guard flying or something, but not airlines. Who is gonna raise the kids?