Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Left Seat

Originally Posted by Gvdriver View Post
I recently did a blood glucose tolerance test
Fasting 98
1 hour 180
2hour. 97

Also the A1c which came to 5.7

I had previously done just a fasting test and came in at 100 so my doc asked me to do blood glucose tolerance test and the A1c
I see the 5.7 is in the pre diabetes range but everything else looks normal.
I will do the A1c again in maybe 60 days to see..
Any comments would be appreciated
A close buddy had a similar situation. Basically, don't get overly stressed yet. Walk every day or as much as possible, less (or zero) white food products (milk, bread, sugar, pasta), more fruits and vegetables, don't go crazy on red meat, skip the McDonalds/Burger King, and drink LOTS OF WATER.

Up your fiber intake also.

A multi-vitamin a day may help make up for vitamins/nutrients we tend to miss in between flights or when we eat a muffin and a starbucks for "lunch" between flights

RE-test in a few months and see how it reads.

Take a look at this worksheet for AME's

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...e-Diabetes.pdf

Also check this info from American Diabetes Association

Diagnosing Diabetes and Learning About Prediabetes: American Diabetes Association®

Basically LESS than 5.7 % A1C and LESS than 100 mg/dl is Normal and NOT considered Pre-Diabetes

If your re-test shows high, STILL DO NOT PANIC, continue with above lifestyle changes and re-test AGAIN six months later for your body to accept and adjust to the new changes.

Again, a co-worker had the same issue as you did and he spazzed out but the above (recommended by a Dr.) solved everything for his particular situation.

Keep us posted