View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 10:25 PM
TipTip35
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Originally Posted by Magenta Line View Post
PT, I have been giving this much consideration and a little bit of research. As a 50% MD FO, I "might" be able to hold Capt in a CDG 757. I tried to look at how much a flat costs in Paris but it was Sunday on my last layover. However, here's what I am looking at:

As a single guy, I would try to room with another single Capt at around the same seniority and then it could be possible to have a nice place in the city. The challenge comes with transpo; do both of you need a car to get to/from the arpt? Parking is extra and what I did find out is that it costs you 50-100 euro more a month to park a car in a space your tenant allows. Since you're around the same seniority it would be doubtful that both of you would always be there at the same time. Vacation differences, training differences, etc... will afford plenty of time w/o a roomie hanging around, IMHO.

I am concerned about the exchange rate and already being behind on the curve by 30% there. Not worried about the price of gas (I only drive 15 days per month now anyway) or groceries, or wine for that fact! The only real cranium scratcher is transpo.

As far as HKG goes, it'll probably be wide-body. And I know it's a very expensive city but there's a HUGE expat community there. I know a Cathay 777 Capt who lives in HKG and he lives on a boat in one of the harbours.

Either place has lots of US expats there so there's knowledge on the street, we've just got to find it. And find out what or how much Fred is going to open up his wallet to make this happen.
If an outsider can throw 2 cents in...

Magenta what you say sounds like it might be doable for single guys. Quite a different story though for those married and with family. Do you think there is a large enough pool of single guys that may be able to fill a lot of the slots over there.

Also with the number of 75s planned for Paris does anyone know how many pilots the company is looking at trying to base over there??