View Single Post
Old 01-30-2015, 06:42 PM
Carl Spackler
Back on TDY

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: 747-400 Captain

Originally Posted by Sink r8 View Post
Great rhetorical.

In reality, many of the people waxing poetic about C2K have never lived under it, including the Joker who is screaming it was stolen from him. Probably just over half of us have never worked for the company that gave up C2K, and none of us work for it today. Most of us who lived under it, don't even remember what was in it.

The good news is the company we actually work for (today), has a vastly different set of circumstances than the pre-reorganiztion company. I suspect this company, which already enjoys extraordinary productivity concessions from us, can afford a very good contract, that would equitably reward the various shareholders. Why aren't we talking about THAT? Why aren't we talking instead only about the financial metrics of this company, and whether there is room for RA to position it as a different sort of company, and for us to be properly rewarded?

As far as I'm concerned, the only pertinent discussion would be determining how much more above $2.7B in yearly costs we can go, while allowing the goose with the golden egg enough grain, vet visits, and whatever else it needs. Look at the cash that's moving around: isn't there enough for everyone, lest we get overly greedy?

As far as the PS goes, it has two great benefits:
1) It provides leverage as we wait for the right contract, and
2) It provides upside protection while we wait.

All it does, really, is send 20% to employees, which I guess is ~about 6% to pilots (check my math). Is our self-respect that low, that we don't think we deserve that, and an appropriate contract?

With all due respect, trying get back to C2K payrates (only) is a low bar. But talking about giving up the PS only to achieve a lesser goal is preposterous.
Great post Sink.

Except the "waxing poetic" part. Anyone that correctly uses that in a sentence is, well...waxing poetic.

Carl