View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 07:35 AM
flyingfam
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2015
Default Corporate VS Smokejumping

Hi all, I am weighing two job options and wondering if anyone had any input.

The first is a corporate gig flying the execs through the mountains. Small companies, pay is pretty good with the potential to get great. Gone overnight once or twice a week, working with good guys and execs, schedule is usually made a couple weeks out so you know a little bit of what to expect.

The second is a smokejumping pilot job, seasonal work. Pay is about half of what the other job starts with, but it is only half a year as well. This flying is obviously more exciting, but the job itself is also a lot more unpredictable.

I'm a family man who is looking to be able to spend a lot of time with my family. They would come with me for the smokejumping season and then I'm not sure what we would do after that--live somewhere else permanently? Travel around to visit family? Not sure.

I was going with the corporate job until I got this last-minute call from the smokejumpers. I thought I was kind of out of the running for that. Now, I keep flip-flopping back and forth between the two. I'm not sure what to do, but I know I need to make a decision quick.

Any advice? Thanks!