View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 09:48 AM
Stormblesses
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2015
Position: Instructor

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
What are your goals in life? Are you building a resume for something else or just looking for the best job?

If you're building time for airlines, smokejumping would be a nice resume bullet/conversation piece, but corporate flying is more along the lines of what airlines are looking for. If you have previous 121/corporate time than smokejumping probably wouldn't hurt.

The big question comes down to what's best for family. The corporate job sounds pretty stable and consistent, but the smokejumping would obviously provide a lot of time off (assuming you don't need another job in the off season), plus a bit of adventure as you move around. If you can manage the kids' school to avoid disruption, it might be an unusual opportunity. I did something like that as a kid, Dad was an educator so we went on long camping trips in the summer while he did other jobs (usually in great outdoor locations). Lot of memories.
Sounds like you had good parents. Good on them for introducing their kid to the outdoors, a lot of kids don't even know what they are missing.

Back to the question. I think you need to take some time to build a priority list and decide where you want to be in a couple of years. Once you know where you are going you can decide the best way to get there. The rest should fall into place once you have that knowledge (or at least give you a clearer picture).

Maybe you have already done this but your current question is hard to answer without knowing more of what you are specifically looking for. Either way good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.