View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 04:13 PM
RetiredDasher
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2013
Default Is it any better?

I retired almost four years ago from PDT and haven't looked back! Yes, PDT once had an almost decent defined benefit retirement plan before all the age 60 BS. I go out under the early retirement offer. I wouldn't trade the last few years for anything which may be gained from the age 60 grievance. There is really a great life in the real world. Just to make it better, repeat after me, "Max contribution to 401k." I've been taking a little out yearly just to put in savings and still have more left than when I retired. Just don't take out enough to make the IRS love you.

I non-rev occasionally when my wife makes me, as I'm happy just to get to stay home for a change. Maybe it will be different in another year or two when I become really bored and want to travel the world, but I haven't had the urge yet. She does keep reminding me that I promised to travel once I retired. I just still sit home grinning and thinking F--- you scheduling! Life is good. Sometimes I still have nightmares that I'm working! Nothing like working all night with all the problems for free and waking up in a cold sweat!

So, what have I missed besides those jets which they promised me twenty-five years ago?

At least I was one of those proudly holding my head high, waiting for my brothers to support me, as PDT never caved in, while PSA dragged the wholley-owneds down. Now I just look at what's left and say go for it guys. You have nothing to be ashamed of. All those years of holding the line got us nothing but stagnation and no future. Nobody had our backs or gave a damn. All of you criticizers out there should just shut up and hold you own if you think anyone will back you. Good luck standing for principle, it didn't work very well for us when I was there!

Good luck to all!