Thread: Skywest vs PSA
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 05:43 PM
tothebigblue
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Originally Posted by Theswede View Post
Hello,

I'm very active and read a lot on this forum, but I rarely write since I'm currently not flying for airline. I got offers from both Skywest and PSA but can't really make up my mind, and would like to ask for your advice. I'm interested in Compass but they haven't called.

Skywest pros: good training, better FO pay, seems to be a good group of people, more west coast (I currently live in LA, might move if I have to).

Cons: slow upgrade, by reading the Skywest-thread it appears that schedule/QOL is getting worse.

PSA pros: seems to be doing well filling classes, quick upgrade, short reserve, being able to drop trips to 65h and then pick up premium pay.

Cons: gotta move across country/commute with no chance of west coast base, worse place to get stuck at as FO than Skywest, appears to have lots of people fail the training (not sure how true last one is).

Input?
you still have to get 1000 jet before you can do ANYTHING upgrade wise. sure PSA you can get that but where will the company be when you actually get to the 1000? Wait for the compass call. Living in base and being at an airline trumps commuting plus you'll be part of the union which is better than being non union and not protected. you can drop trips at any airline, how you're paid and how you can drop and pick up trips as well as bid is big deal. good thing with this time in the industry is you can "shop" for an airline. i like having 3 options to compare rather going on a 50/50 shot. best of luck and keep applying everywhere!