View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 06:14 PM
oldveedubs
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: pǝʇɹǝʌuı

Originally Posted by Nealman1 View Post
I am a senior in college and am seriously considering aviation as a career. If I went down this path, I would be starting from the bottom,(private licence) and working my way up. I am fortunate enough to have the financial means to go through with this with little to do debt accumulating. I've read a good bit about airline schools vs. FBO, but still have a few questions.

1) Is going to you local flight school (Birmingham) for training as efficient as going to a career school?

If you do a search in the flight training forum you will find several different answers. What almost everyone can agree on is to do your research. The opinions of people will be very strong on this website. Visit the different schools/fbos, talk to people who went to either, talk to others, talk to pilots...get a good feel about either before you decide to go. You are lucky to have the financial means but that being said don't blow it on a place you aren't happy at.

2) once I obtain my commercial licence, is there other options to gain hours for the major airlines besides regionals?

To get to a major you need multi turbine PIC. Turbine refers to "jet" and PIC is basically captain. Most majors require about 1000 hours PIC as a minimum. To get this time you could fly for a part 91 operator with King Airs. Another option is to get your CFI/II and MEI to build good quality time and then get a corporate job. You may find yourself wanting to stay in corporate after you get there...just like before make sure you do your research.

3) For those who do fly for the regionals, are you obligated to live in a domicile city, or can you commute into wherever the hub may be?

Usually as a new hire at any airline you are so low in seniority you bid a reserve line. When you sit reserve you have to be available next to a phone and usually be at the airport within about an hour. You would get called if a scheduled pilot gets sick or maybe breaks his duty time that day. So the long answer to your question is...it is 95% likely you will HAVE to live in domicile as a new hire. As you gain seniority after a couple months to maybe a year you would be able to bid lines which you could commute from home...again...do your research on commuting.

any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks
Make sure you ask as many questions of people, even those who you think may not know that much...they could end up giving you a job one day. Don't get discouraged by this website...it can be very intimidating. Anyone on here will say the same no matter what point of view they have; educate yourself on all possibilities. Good luck!