Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 09:58 AM
StuckMike
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2013

Originally Posted by Eastsider View Post
Just in the process of submitting my application. Have a few questions if someone would be so kind as to help me out. I have prior 121 experience but haven't flown in about 8 years. My atp written has long expired and I didn't realize the 8/14 reg change until it was too late. (yeah, I guess I have been living under a rock)

Can anyone give me a bit more information on the CTP program and whether or not you are considered an employee while completing it? I understand it is at Expressjet in Houston and runs about 5 days if not mistaken.

Is getting home on weekends during class an issue? I've heard some conflicting things.

As far as QOL in MSP, how bad is it? To be honest, I wouldn't mind not flying much if I can be home often. From what I'm reading it sounds like that is a pipe dream. Does CS really fly guys out of base on reserve to sit in a (company paid for!) hotel just because they figure you shouldn't be at home. I get it happens occasionally due to staffing but as a regular practice, really??

What does a typical line out of MSP look like? Easy to drop/pick up trips? (Again, I think I know the answer to this, currently being understaffed)

Any additional info/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Can answer a few questions for you based on my experience here for nearly a year:

Never once have I been TDY'd in 5 ish months of reserve.

I don't think you're considered an employee before you start indoc, and the ATP written training is before that.

Realize that this is a forum, and not a fair sampling of the overall pilot experience here. I've enjoyed my time, and only once felt like CS didn't treat me fair, and they've let me go early from reserve probably half a dozen times. I would say that from flying the line that most people here are fairly happy, which is saying a lot in the regional industry.