View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 03:27 PM
vroll1800
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Always Fly With Favorite Captain

Originally Posted by Yazzoo View Post
A friend of mine recently quit the industry because "aviation requires you to sacrifice a lot and just doesn't give you back enough in return."

I thought a lot about his words, and decided to come up with a Pros and Cons list. This could help those among us who are considering leaving the profession A few pros and cons I have come up with, specifically applying to airline pilots:

Staying in Aviation -

PROS:

- Flying jets is fun
- Flight attendants
- The occasional fun crew
- The occasional fun layover
- Leave work at work
- Flexible monthly schedules
- Free travel & ZED fares
- Office view
- Satisfaction of a flight well-flown
- Camaraderie; aviation is a small world
- Beats sitting in a cubicle

CONS:

- Always traveling...can be tiring & difficult to maintain your personal life
- As safe as aviation is, there's alway the chance of an accident
- Job on the line every flight/check-ride/line-check/etc.
- Irregular working hours and days off..can be tough to have a "normal" life
- Radiation, fatigue and other health concerns
- No retirement funds other than 401K
- Contracts getting worse
- One accidental slip up with the law could be career ending
- Lower salary than other jobs that require similar education levels
- Lose your job at one airline and you have to start over
- Recurrent training
- Lose your medical & you're done
- Being a pilot is a lifestyle choice; not a job (could be a pro depending how you look at it)
- There are much easier ways to make more money & be home every night

Do any of these ring true with those of you who have left the industry? Please feel free to add your own thoughts to the list!
Good list. WRT "no retirement funds other than 401K", some airlines (most notably FedEx and UPS) DO still have a pension as part of their total retirement package. Some others like fNWA have their pensions frozen.
For someone considering an airline career, above statement is true. Since you're seeking input from those who are currently active aviators, I thought I'd mention this little point.

For "lose your job and start over", I'd substitute "lack of lateral mobility." ** The later is a relevant factor for those who have seen their contracts significantly eroded coupled with a protracted period of career stagnation. If those things happened to anyone else, they could find another job with similar or better pay.

** Yes, there are contract jobs overseas out there, but for the over 55 crowd, the pickings are very slim. Plus they're not for everyone. (How many accountants or doctors would choose to pursue a position thousands of miles away?)