View Single Post
Old 02-10-2015, 06:56 PM
IFlyFL410
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: midsize

Originally Posted by joel payne View Post
These are my own thoughts, not my son's and thereby might be listed as "hear say". Thought I'd pass on to other Flexjet guys, gals and those hoping to fly for them.

My eldest son resigned from Flexjet last week, after 9 1/2 years, 5 1/2 as Captain. He said he had a good time and mostly enjoyed the job. He started a class at American yesterday. He said it was a REALLY hard choice. He has worked, part time, on the ramp, for AA for 25+ years. Since he was a junior in college. Between that job, school and flying checks at night was a tough way to ahead. He also went through 2 failed airlines [Vanguard & Southeast].

He is giving up considerable pay, at least for the 1st year, even with the new contract. He will also lose his airline frequent flier and hotel points and his free cell phone. On the downside of Flexjet, he was always on call. They would call and assign him a trip and then change it once or twice. Almost all hotel layovers were by the airport. True the airports ranged from the Pacific Northwest to the Caribbean, but not much time for sightseeing. There are also occasions when you get to tidy up the a/c and restock the supplies.

I also understand that Flexjet has stopped their bonus contribution to the retirement plan and done away with the yearly bonus for this year. Overall, he said it was a good job, he was just ready to move on. This may be my last post on the Flexjet side, not that I posted that much of interest anyway. The GOOD news is that for those of you on the bottom 1/2 of the seniority list, you just moved up a number.

I'll leave you with a message he posted on a social media site, and wish everyone GOOD LUCK! Again, these are my thoughts, NOT his.

"And so it ends. After 26 1/2 years of working the ramp for American Airlines while pursuing my flying career, this chapter of my life concluded tonight. Fittingly my last flight was to Nashville where it all started long ago. From there to Miami to Dallas it has been a great ride. Looking forward to the next chapter on the flight deck for American. To all my friends here at DFW and around the country, I will miss you. To my wife who has been by my side the entire way, leaving behind friends and family on this crazy ride, thank you. Your love and support has been a guiding force. I love you! Onward and upward!"
I flew with G quite a bit over the past eight years here at Flexjet. One of my faves. Ask him who made his flying video the other week and you'll know who I am ; ) He'll be missed but with any luck I'll see him at American soon.