View Single Post
Old 02-10-2015, 06:59 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by BrandiNett View Post

Hi Tony,

There is no need to go after the mods by calling them smug or other derogatory terms. They are volunteers doing their job as best they can - including handing over situations that involve members being rude to them for doing their jobs. Personal attacks on any member - including mods - is not tolerable ...

Hi Brandi,

As careful as I have been to be polite and respectful, it sort of hurts my feelings for you to accuse me of being rude or calling anybody smug or other derogatory terms. I have not attacked anybody.

I did refer to a remark that a moderator made as being smug, not the moderator himself. He ended his post with the phrase, "... set, game, match." I assume he simply confused the order, or precedence of the divisions of a tennis match, and meant to say, "Game, set, match", which is the last call an umpire makes in a tennis match. When the umpire makes the call, the match is over, and a winner is declared. The players politely reach across the net and shake each others' hands, they shake the hand of the umpire, they collect their rackets and other belongings, and they retreat to the locker room. Well, that is unless one of them remains on the court to receive a trophy or participate in some sort of ceremony.

Outside of tennis, the phrase is an idiom which declares a decisive victory and a cessation to the conversation or contest. Now, there are some pretty ugly explanations of the phrase in the Urban Dictionary, but I'll assume the intention was a more main-stream meaning of the idiom as described in the Idioms Wiki. According to that site, it means "game over" and its main use is gloating.

I don't think it's a stretch to call the use of that phrase, that idiom, smug. That doesn't make the speaker smug, it just means that his reply was smug.

I haven't been rude, and I have used no derogatory terms. But I have now been accused, and that seems both unfortunate and ironic.

... and in the future such behavior will result in red cards. Not a threat, just the rules being enforced.

Red cards? Is this another sports allusion, or a new rule? I don't recall reading anything about red cards in the Terms of Use or the "Forum Rules."

As for the "policy is clear" versus "policy is clearly outlined" these are two different things. The policy on naming scabs may not be written down but from my understanding it has always been clear how discussions of scabs go down.

Since I already explained how I believe your understanding of "how it has always been" does not comport with the history of the site, I won't belabor the point. Perhaps we can agree to disagree.

The references you make to the past use of calling out scabs by HSLD and others only seems to be calling out public figures. Anyone who is public like that does not count towards what the mod intended. We have never allowed registered members to be called out here on the forums. That would be disclosing personal information.

I have no idea what the Moderator intended because he made no attempt to explain himself, but Vaughn Cordle is not a public figure. He is a scab, though, and our Co-founder had no problem emphatically declaring such. That's not personal information any more than it's personal information that he was born. It happened. It's just a fact.

Is it just that we can't call registered members scabs? Would that change if Clay Lacy became a registered member of APC?

The rules will be getting a facelift to make certain things more clear.

I guess we've got that going for us. Have a pleasant evening.