View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 07:21 AM
Airhoss
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

Originally Posted by kingsnake2 View Post
The best academic scholarships are based almost solely on SAT/ACT score. You want one, do well on those tests.
True ^^^^ BUT even a high ACT/SAT is no guarantee. It has got to be better than a high score it needs to be AWESOME! That is where my daughter messed up she got a very good score, I think it was a 28 or a 29 and thought, that's good enough and didn't retake it. I know a kid from her class who scored a 32 and he got a full ride based on that, his GPA and a ton load of community service, leadership, sports and club participation. The kid is truly an outlier and deserved it. Especially since his parents are ranchers and just barely scratch out a living.

My only point here is that most people think that if they have a high GPA and a good ACT score that they are going to get scholarships. It is shocking how few kids get any scholarships based on academics alone. You need to start applying now it might just be a HUGE wake up call. It was for us. It also helps to have a good high school academic adviser. Our academic adviser was pretty clueless.

If anybody here has any real world advice to offer on the subject I'd like to hear it. Most people think they are going to get scholarships based on academics, and it turns out most people don't get squat. ESPECIALLY not with an in state school.....