View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 06:00 AM
Pilot121
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Default When can you get a SODA?

I've been looking into the FAA Statement of Demonstrated Ability that you can get for "static or nonprogressive" medical issues (in my case amblyopia, basically lazy eye), which seems to be a good option for me. However, I am a bit confused on just when exactly in your flight training you can get one. I have never had an FAA medical before. I am about to start a collegiate flight program (I'm aware of how many of you hate the whole aviaton degree idea, but my situation is somewhat unique.) Anyway, before I start this program, I want to have a 1st class medical to be sure that I would be able to get an airline job eventually. I am confident that I will pass the 1st class medical, except for my vision -- my lazy eye can't be corrected to 20/20, it's about 20/30. My other eye is about 20/10. So, because I will have to get a SODA, when can I take my medical flight test? The college wants their students to start with 0 hours on day one. Because of this, I am not planning on getting my PPL before I start college. However, can I do some lessons now so that I would at least know how to fly and take the medical flight test with only 10-15 hours?
Thanks,
Pilot121