View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 07:10 AM
CrustyMuffin
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Left Seat
Default To be a cop or not

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and it is mainly to career advice. I'm 21 years old and about to graduate with my undergraduate degree in criminal justice. While in college I got my Class B CDL, allowing me the money to get my private pilot license within six months.

Now that I'm graduating I have a choice to make. Join a police department that has a three year commitment and pay that comes out to $50k per year and see if I prefer the job security, benefits, but also continuous anxiety and politics over the life of a commercial pilot.

On the other hand I already have a good job with the city transit system that pays about $30k per year if I go full time, which I can do any time I want. This would mean getting everything done earlier than I could with police and get established in the industry. This agency also has great benefits for the one to two years I would be with them.

What do you all with your airline experience think? This is an honest question that I want information about and I will not try to justify either side of it.