View Single Post
Old 02-16-2015, 09:59 AM
gloopy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: window seat

Originally Posted by airspeed1974 View Post
Gloopy, my airline is getting one new 737 and one new a320 every month for the next 2 years. We need lots of captains. We also have wife bodies coming here to China. So does this mean because our parent company flies to America that we too should also fail?

Sorry many of us don't agree with you. As for your blah blah blah let me tell you it's much easier for you to issue these statements from where your at.

The truth is atleast IMHO most of us expats would make equal to or better employees then our brethren back home. Why? Because the level of BS we have to put up with. The insane medicals, stress of dealing with extremely low time copilots, sim checks that would make ones head spin, horrible ATC, traffic delays the likes of which you prob have never seen. We know how to improvise, adapt and overcome.

I liken being overseas as not much diff then being deployed with a carrier battle group for 6 months. The same isolation and stress without the fun jets.

I'm not saying we are better or worse but atleast equal or better when it comes to dealing with BS. So when you say about blah blah blah when it pertains to us being matyrs well I'll tell you many of us have tried to come home with a hell of a lot of heavy jet turbine PIC, degree, etc. Crickets.....

I was just reading how the mayor of London was taxed on capital gains for him selling his place in the UK. He hasn't lived in America and was simply born there and yet the IRS many years later taxes him on his UK property. I don't know any other govt in the world as greedy as Uncle Sam
Well the mayor of London should renounce if he doesn't want to pay US taxes. So no sympathy for him on that. Unless he's just keeping his option to leave what he Shirley must robotically proclaim is "the greatest city in the world" in "the greatest country in the world" every 5 seconds to pander to his voters. So why on earth would he want to remain a US citizen? Who cares though. As long as he is, he is subject to US taxes to the degree IAW the law. Even Tina Turner renounced over taxes. So no sympathy for the mayor of London.

I agree that many expat (and corporate) pilots would make excellent additions to major airlines in the US. However the "big 3" (or whatever) could hire every single expat pilot on earth tomorrow and they would just re-fill those positions with others and then they would say how its not fair, blah blah blah.

In any case, I know a few ME and one Asian expat pilot that got hired at US majors fairly recently. All 4 networked agressively and had competitive quals. Hiring should only increase along with retirements which start to peak at most airlines in the coming few years.

I realize what expat (and corporate…as its a comparative situation WRT hiring) go through and agree that, all things being equal, some of the common experiences they go through can definately be viewed as assets.