Thread: Compass updates
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 08:19 PM
ACessential
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2012

Originally Posted by GrassLandings View Post
Hey guys, got a class date. How does a Midwesterner best deal with being assigned LAX on first year pay? Any rough estimates for crashpads or permanent living near LAX? commute?... I make about the same now, but dont live in LA, cost of living here is 30-60% cheaper for rent and such.
I would highly prefer MSP but getting conflicting info as to how likely it is I could get it. I have another job offer that is based closer to hometown but would require moving. But its not 121. very good 135 gig. Got a make my choice in the next few weeks.
Pitch a tent under the 405

Honestly I don't know how first year guys are doing it out in LAX. I know a lot get 2nd jobs (Uber drivers make a good 2nd job), rack up a ton of debt, live with their parents etc... There is no way in hell anyone can afford a comfortable lifestyle on 25K a year in LA. Expect to pay about 300/month for a crashpad out in LA if you commute.

That being said you could get MSP sooner than you may think. It really all depends on what the final size of the base ends up being which it sounds like about 80 crews from the latest gossip. A lot of MSP FOs will continue to upgrade over the year which will open up back fill positions. But you have to plan for the worst which could be stuck being LAX based for awhile.

As far as taking the 135 gig over Compass... well that could be a tough call. All I can say is if you are looking to break into 121 Compass is a good choice right now. Good luck.