View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 11:21 PM
Laker24
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2013

Originally Posted by Probe View Post
Ek hasn't even begun to "climb the ladder" of hiring expats. For a married pilot with kids, it is a good deal. Not enough pilots? Offer 6/2 or 6/3. Still not enough pilots? Raise the pay. Pilot shortage solved.

EK will have no problem filling their seats. It is not for me, but I have personally met happy EK pilots, and really, really unhappy ones. Unfortunately only the really, really, unhappy ones bother to post on internet forums.

There are many happy EK pilots.

The only way I would ever apply to EK would be for a 4/4 roster. Until then - Nada.
EK is great at finding pilots who need a job. All you have to do is go down the seniority list and you will find an accurate cross section of the failed airlines of the world and their corresponding start date at Emirates. Lots of ex Ansett, Varig, Aero Mexico, US furloughs, ex contract pilots from China, and so forth.

Morale is currently in the gutter. There are a few "happy pilots" here but most of those guys are ones who bought a big villa ten years ago and are now sitting on about $2million USD in equity. Or those from places like South Africa or South America who have few options if any. If you are from a country with few prospects or any third world area then EK and Dubai offers a route to relative prosperity.

For someone from a country like the US you will be shocked by the lack of basic freedoms, work rules, training environment, excessive bureaucracy, etc, etc. If you can put up with the bs you might be happy. There are an endless supply of young flight attendants to date. But the negatives are beginning to tip the scales in a big way and when it comes down to it Dubai is just a boring place. Check out trip advisor's list of most overrated destinations in the world. Just do your research and triple check all opinions, including mine!

Direct Entry Captains are back. For the moment only on the 330 fleet. I'm sure the 777 is right around the corner. So add another year or two to the projected upgrade time.
https://tas-ekgcareers.taleo.net/car...l?job=1500006V

Last edited by Laker24; 02-20-2015 at 12:03 AM.